Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The great music/no music debate

As you get into running, you find out there is a debate about whether or not you should listen to music while running. There are pros for both camps. Those who are pro music (which is the majority) say that music helps pass the time and helps keep your mind off the aches and pains. This can be big when it come to "the wall." The no music camp talks of safety and social aspects of running. If you gave headphones on with music playing then you can't hear cars and other things around you. Things that can hurt you as a runner. Some marathons have banned headphones, however this is rarely enforced. The social aspect is the ability to strike up a conversation with fellow runners.

In my experience, I have found that if I keep the volume down while running, I can have the best of both worlds. I can have the music to keep my mind off the tine and aches, but I can still hear what is going on around me. Running with or without music is a matter of preference.

Lately though I have found a new subject matter to listen to while running. During long runs, music loses its ability to keep my mind occupied. What I have been trying lately are audio books. By listening to the story, I the time passes quickly and I don't focus on every little ache and pain. (I like www.audible.com for books.) What is your view point in the music/no music issue? What do you listen to while you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment