Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken Stroganoff- Men's Health style

I LOVE to cook as much as I love to eat. However, when I started on my weight loss journey, my cooking habits had to change. You tend not to lose weight when everything you make is cooked in butter, wrapped in bacon, and smothered in gray. But this does not mean that I will give up my favorite foods. After all, a guy can only stand eating salad so many times a week before the cat starts looking pretty tasty. That means finding low cal ways to make my favorites. To my rescue come Men's Health Magazine with their " A Man, A Plan, A Can" series of cook books. If you do not have these cookbooks in your kitchen, you need to get them. And it doesn't matter who you are, there is one for you. There I even on for microwave cooking (college student). The recipes are easy to make, with most measurements in units of cans. They are also in plain English (no special cooking terms). They are just the best cookbooks out there for the non chef and chef alike.

Anyway, while thumbing through one of the cookbooks, I came across this recipe for chicken stroganoff an thought I would give it a go. As always, the recipe was easy to follow. Best of all, it is also very yummy. This recipe goes into my keeper collection of recipes. Give it a try for yourself an see. Here is the recipe.


Chicken Stroganoff

Servings:4


Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
9 oz can sour cream and onion dip
6 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup sliced onions
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce


Preparation
In a small bowl, mix the garlice powder, 1/2 tsp of the thyme, and 1/8 tsp of the pepper. Cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise, then coat all over with the spices. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned all over. Remove to a plate. Dump the onions into the pan, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or unitl soft. Dump in the dip, mushrooms, broth, Worcestershire and the remaining 1/4 tsp thyme and 1/8 tsp pepper. Return the chicken to the pan, covering with the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Note:
Calories: 300 Fat: 12 Carbs: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment