Thursday, June 21, 2012

First Tempo Run

If the goal of a Tempo run is to make you run outside your comfort zone, then this was a success. I had heard of Tempo runs but didn't know what they were, so after a quick query of the god of all knowledge (Internet), I had an idea what they were. The only problem is that you are supposed to run at your 10K pace. The only 10K I have ever run was the Les Bois 10K and that is a 3 mile climb, followed by a 3 return. As such, I have no idea what my 10K pace is. So I just made it a little slower than my Yasso 800 speed.
Again, I decided to create a workout on my Garmin for this to help me (I like letting my watch tell me when it is time to change up and I don't have to keep looking at it). I set my target tempo pace to be between 10:00 and 10:30, plus a 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down. I did discover that on my Garmin 405, I can only have 1 course and 1 workout uploaded to the watch at a time. (I just need to make sure I upload the course and workout before I go for a run.)
I started off not feeling very good. My stomach was bothering me again this morning and I felt very Blah, and my starting pace really showed it. I normally start off fast and slow down but this time I did the opposite. My starting pace was 11:30 but by the time my warm up was over, I was pushing 10:30. When my Garmin told me it was time to start running at pace, I thought for sure it would be screaming at me to speed up, but when I look down at it, it was telling me to slow down and that my pace was 9:00. I didn't know I had that pace in me. I finally managed to settle into a pace my Garmin liked and away I went. I was supposed to keep this pace for 20 minutes, but after 16, I just had to slow down (the web site did say between 15 and 20 minutes). After the Tempo part, I was supposed to cool down for 10 minutes but I ended up walking.
It felt good and both this and the Yassos are making me focus on my pace more, which is something I never do. 
Distance: 3 miles
Time: 36 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment