Monday, September 24, 2012

1 Week To Go

I am down to just 1 week until my next race, the Idaho Wine Run. I am doing the full marathon. I have a goal of beating my PR of 5 hours 35 minutes. Will I do it? We will find out on Sunday. 

My taper has not gone well. Two weeks ago, I was supposed to run 14 miles, but a bunch of people were doing a trial run of the Foothills 50K Frenzy course and I really wanted to join in. As such, I did 18 miles with 3700 feet of elevation gain. Then, for some reason, I got it in my head that I still had three weeks to the marathon. Last weekend I did 10 miles with plans of doing 6 the following weekend and then the marathon the following. In truth, my marathon is next week. Oops. I guess I will have to extra taper this week to make up for it. ;)  

As for this marathon, I feel pretty good. My goal is to run as much as I can and then, instead of walking from mile 18 on, I plan on doing the run/walk technique. I figure with this, I should beat 5 and a 1/2 hours. The big wild card is the course. 

Idaho Wine Run Marathon Course

The course is pretty hilly and I am just not sure what that will do to me after 26.2 miles. On the 18 miles last weekend, there were lots of really big hills and it was tough. The big key will be if I can push myself to keep running after many miles and walking up a hill. 

This will be my 3rd marathon this year. In 1 month, I will be doing my second 50K this year. So far this has been a good running year. Before this year, I had only done 1 marathon and no 50Ks. The 50K is my last race of the year. 

I always get nervous before a marathon (or any race for that matter). I think the key for me is to keep my mind off it. I am trying something new for this race, I am going to get a massage before it. I have never had a massage before and am kind of looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment