Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year’s Goals

Everyone seems to be posting blogs about their New Years Resolutions so here are mine…

I know that first sentence sounded rather down on resolutions and in some part I am down on resolutions. However, I am very up on setting goals for the year. You might think I am splitting hairs, since setting goals and setting resolutions pretty much mean the same thing. But to me, there is a big difference between the two. A goal is something that you set, make plans to achieve and then work to meet. A resolution is something people set at the first of the year and make some attempt to meet. The big difference is in the making plans. For example, say you are the coach of a sports team and you make a goal of winning all your games. Would you then just show up to the games/matches to see if it happens? No, you would then lay out a plan to achieve that goal with practices, working on areas you are weak at. Or say you set a goal of running a marathon. Would then just show up at the starting line and see if you can make it? No, you would find a running schedule and stick to it so you are prepared to run the whole race. To me, that is the difference between a goal and a resolution.

Before I start with this year’s goals, let’s see how I did with last year’s.

Personal

  • Run a marathon – Completed this on May 15!!!!!
  • Lose 50 pounds – OK, I didn’t do so well here. In fact, I didn’t make any headway here. :(

Professional

  • Learn Java ME – Completed. It is a great idea for one language for all devices, but it has failed in implementation as the JVM on each device vary too much.
  • Earn 6 technical certifications – I managed to get my ICPD (Maximo 7), MCTS and MCITP (SQL Server 2005). I still have three left

So overall, not bad. I managed better than 50 percent. So now for 2011 goals:

Personal

  • Lose 50 pounds – I have laid out a diet and exercise plan to help me meet this (and other personal) goals. I have also bet $100 with my sister in-law and a friend for the first to lose 40 pounds. The idea of paying out money is a great motivator for me.
  • Run a full marathon in under 5 hours. – I ran my first marathon in 5:35 and I did walk a bit of it. I think this is a very doable goal. My first marathon will be in May.
  • Run a half marathon in under 2 hours. – This is a harder goal. I have run 3 half marathons and they have all been in 2:20 to 2:30 time. Although I did walk some on each, I still think this will be a tough goal. To help me meet these time based goals, my exercise plan includes lots of core and cross training, as well as a good running plan. Plus, the more weight I lose the better my running will get. My first half marathon is the first of April, but this is a very hilly course so I don’t know if this will be the half I meet this goal.

Professional

  • Earn remaining technical certs. – I have SCJP (Java 6), MCTS and MCITP (SQL Server 2008). I have already purchased the study material for the first one and begun studying for it.
  • Learn IBM Message Broker (or some such middleware tool).

I am excited about my goals and achieving them. What are your goals and how do you plan to meet them?

No comments:

Post a Comment